Saturday, February 03, 2007

Sunny Days



is the theme for NZAG this time. Decided to paint a garden, acrylic 12" x 30" canvas. As I was dabbing on paint I realised faces and figures were appearing. I had even worked with the canvas the other way around for half of the time, not thinking too much about what I was doing. Decided to let these people come out, the first photograph I've touched up some edges in burnt umber to see what was there. Decided to go all the way and have started to paint in flesh. I have no idea what is going on. One of the figures is even pregnant! And the figure on the bottom left, I could see someone there, and started to paint it, and couldn't figure out why I couldn't "get it" then all of a sudden it dawned on me that the person had his back to me. I don't even think it makes sense having these two large faces floating in the middle. I think I can see another figure on the right edge cutting the hair of one of the large faces, perhaps with hedgeclippers. Basic underpainting in now, so have to decide what to do. I'm feeling rather uninspired at the moment and think I need to do some big drawing and splashing about with paint without worrying about outcomes. Mind you, that was what I tried to do with this painting and look what happened.

1 comment:

denise said...

Like how it's going. It can be confusing when you are intending one thing and the painting 'decides' something else. Just "trust your process" and go with your instincts.