Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I am painting



this week. This is a photograph of a quick painting I did after the Cornish Pumphouse in Waihi was moved and there was a local celebration with fireworks. It's acrylic on canvas, 20 x 30 cm.
I've been working on this idea of the photo imagery in paintings, and on Monday I spent a long time on another one where I use the actual image on paper, glued to the canvas, beneath the work. This time I was working too quickly, I think, and had some problems so I've picked off some of the areas and have to work out what to do now.
I've also been working on a larger, 60 x 90 cm, canvas and this time quickly painted in the shapes and lines I want, then have layered over (and boy, do I mean layer after layer) glazes. I now have an underpainting (which was already underpainted) for a fourth mine painting, similar composition as the other three but more abstract. I'll look at it tomorrow, decide which dark lines need to come out and how I'm going to apply paint over the top. It looks a ghastly intense orange but it has a lot of colours in it, really! It also has the dreaded metallic paint in it - copper. Some of the glazes were rubbed on with cloth. Others painted with brush. I put the picture up to create pressure on myself to do something with it now.

No comments: