Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Life Drawing 26 November 2008





w
I've been meaning to create some collaged paper to take to drawing and finally I managed to throw some things together yesterday. I used a good quality printmaking paper to have sturdy background, and used binder medium to apply old text (from my collection of 100+years old books acquired specifically to use in artworks), and papers from magazines and scrapbooking materials. On top of that I quickly brushed some acrylic paint with medium to thin it down. Because it was done in such a hurry there are wrinkles and lumps.

I did three drawings using some of these as a base, and it was an interesting exercise. I can see I have to take care about where dark pieces are placed. I had one interesting dark piece of paper that I don't want to obliterate, but to enhance the drawing I'll have to lift that area out with light media of some kind. I might work on with these pieces at home, using modelling paste and paints, pastels etc. The bases are sturdy enough for that. I used a stick of graphite which was good to work with but doesn't photograph well and tends to reflect light. It might be a better idea to begin with willow charcoal and then moved to a more solid media once the basic drawing is blocked in, willow would wipe of the surface quite easily if I wanted to make changes. I'm thinking 'aloud' here.

The other two drawings are on A2 cartridge paper, the warmup drawings and then one quick drawing blocked in roughly with soft pastel.

3 comments:

Melissa Muirhead said...

Absolutely love the ones on collage Sandra - please do more of those they are stunning.

caseytoussaint said...

I think I just found the answer to the question I asked on the above post!
I'm looking forward to seeing more of these - how long are the poses?

Sandra T said...

Poses vary - the ink one on the later post - they were 5 minute poses. We have about 10-15 minute poses after that but I work quickly and am ready to change after less than 10 minutes...I could do more detail but find I can ruin it so they're best left til I look at them at home. I can work further on them there if I want.