Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Life Drawing 13.8.08






This is a real mixed bag. These are some of the drawings from last night. Chalk pastel mainly and some conte on buff cartridge. When using pastel or conte or charcoal, I often block in the form of the model with the side of a short piece of media. Once I've worked that in I deepen the edges or shadows, and often leave the line until last. The pink drawing is done directly onto the canvas with soft pastel, then I used a blending brush and acrylic medium to fix the image to the canvas. I'll paint on it...probably...possibly. It's nice to draw directly onto the canvas, I've done this a few times now, because it captures some kind of freshness that copying doesn't. We didn't get any standing poses or quick gestural poses last night, though I could have done a variety of quick or gestural drawings for each pose anyway if I'd thought about it at the time. Personally I prefer short poses to long. I'm a bit lazy and don't shift my position very often if at all. I've been thinking about what to do with the enormous rolls of drawings I've collected over the year or so of regular life drawing. Perhaps I'll sell some. One of the models would like to have as many of the drawings of her as possible, and that's fine by me. It would be quite nice to have a good journal and draw each week in that, pen or pencil.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully executed work Sandra

Love Barbara +

Anonymous said...

What about an exhibition somewhere of lots of your drawings, to encourage others to attend classes, and make some sales as well?

Anonymous said...

Lovely stuff--I particularly like the wistful one at the top and the fetal one.