Saturday, November 01, 2014

Recent works

There is a work made for friends with a handwritten note by one of them - WARNING this contains offensive language. Don't like it, don't look.





I took a long break after completing my degree...my work had moved so far from the figurative theme and symbolic and meaningful that I became quite lost over what to do.  I have recently begun working on some paintings of people again, and one of those is included here above.

There is a work made for friends with a handwritten note by one of them - WARNING this contains offensive language. Don't like it, don't look.

I have uploaded some of my canvas strip paintings - these are one meter long, the writing is in sumi ink, the symbols are words.. the words are sentences.

I explored the idea of what makes a painting.  Does it have to be in a frame? Does it have to mean anything? Does it have to be hung on a wall? I completed 17 of these one meter paintings.

The pile of painted canvas strips - painting? sculpture?  It is composed solely of canvas and paint. A 17 meter strip of white painted canvas rolled up - a painting? A one meter roll of white painted canvas dipped in white paint - a painting?



No comments: